Fundamentals Exam: Certification Knowledge Areas
What knowledge areas will be tested in the Developer Fundamentals Exam?
General Hippo Knowledge
Hippo as a content-oriented CMS
The relationship between CMS, Delivery tier and Repository (high-level)
The concept of exposing multiple channels from one Hippo instance
What is Faceted Navigation?
How to set up, build and run a new Hippo project.
Understanding the functions of each maven module in the project
- Essentials: know its purposes and functions (features and tools)
- How to specify the location of the Repository
- How to work with and understand the functions of Webfiles and Automatic Export
- Know how to use the console and the repository servlet
Understanding of the working and functions of the CMS.
- The various perspectives
- Rights of the author, editor, webmaster and admin
- Understanding the default publication workflow
- Creating and maintaining Document types
- Configuring a folder menu for adding documents and folders
- How folders for different languages are linked, and the benefits of that for editors
- The functions of the Channel Manager, for content editors and webmasters
- Understanding of what Image Sets are, how they are configured and used.
Understanding the structure of the stored data (nodes, properties, hierarchy) and understanding of how this structure is defined
- Importing and exporting data using XML: manually, but also through bootstrap
- The role of an Initialize Item
- The Hippo repository:
- Understanding of what kind of data Hippo stores in the repository
- How Faceted Navigation is configured, and how it is exposed in the Repository
- How you can use Faceted Navigation in the site
Hippo Site Toolkit (HST)
Understanding which elements play a role during an HST request: HST configuration, content, HippoBeans, HstComponents and templates
- Explaining the basic function of host groups, hosts, mounts, sites, menus, sitemap and page configuration.
- Understanding of the page structure setup in three different locations, with their own functions.
- Knowledge of what is stored in the hst:workspace and why that exists.
- Understanding the function of a HippoBean, an HstComponent.
- How all these elements are linked to each other
- Understanding the set of Essentials HstComponents: how to use and extend them
Working with HstRequest attributes in an HstComponent and in templates.
- Understanding that HstRequest attributes are namespaced.
- Knowledge of how to build and execute repository queries in a Java component, and how to work with the result of the query.
- Knowledge of which method of an HstComponent is called during the render phase.
- Understanding that an HstComponent must be built in a thread-safe way.
- Understanding the role of and be able to build ParameterInfo classes. What kind of annotations can be used in these classes?
Sitemap items: understanding the functions of wildcards. Understanding which rules HST applies to match a request to sitemap item, and how they are applied.
- How to configure the relative contentpath of a wildcard sitemap item.
- Understanding that sitemap items are used to create links from as well. Understanding what a canonical link is, and how to generate it.
Additional HST topics:
- Understanding the functions of these HST tags: webfiles, link, include, html, headContribution and headContributions.
- What are Resource Bundles and how are they used?
- Page Prototypes: what are they used for and how are they configured?
Want to Practice?
Access the Try-out Exam for an example of the kinds of questions to expect on the certification exam.
If you are prepairing for the Hippo Advanced Developer Certification, please contact email@example.com for information on the additional areas of focus covered in the exam.
See our extensive set of courses from our global team of expert trainers.Learn More
See how Hippo supports you at every stage of your implementation process.Learn More
See how our experts can help to find the best path to meeting your goals.Learn More